Sunday, March 17, 2013

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

I was very excited about this book! It is a classic and it's where we coined the phrase "a real Jekyll and Hyde". I enjoy reading classics and this did not disappoint.

Even though it looks short, The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson is an eye opener. It is an advanced read, so I don't recommend it for kids younger than 13. It is in the perspective of a lawyer named Mr. Utterson. A strange, wicked looking man named Mr. Hyde comes to town, disrupting the peace. At the same time, a scientist by the name of Dr. Jekyll, Utterson's dear friend and client, begins to deteriorate. Coincidence?

This book kicked off a whole new theme in fiction. First published in 1886, this is a book that is very unique for its time. This thriller takes you quickly from one point to another and doesn't mince words. It was a huge change for me, and I loved it.

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde shows that everyone is not as good as they seem, and it illustrates the constant, inner fight inside of everyone between good and evil. I loved this book and I would recommend it highly. -J.E.

No comments:

Post a Comment